Originally the walled garden was part of 25 acres of formal gardens, maintained by 9 gardeners. After the death of the fifth Lord Henniker in 1902 the garden was neglected and during the 20th century it became derelict and overgrown. In more recent years the walled garden has undergone restoration and redesign and it is now the base for Beyond the Wall, a charity that works with people with disabilities. The charity aims to be a stepping stone for its clients to move on into future education, volunteering or employment and therefore improve their prospects. The garden is open to the public at weekends from May-September, there is a seasonal plant and produce stall outside our gate, the profits from which go directly to Beyond the Wall.
Further information is available at www.beyondthewall.org.uk.